Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Rebecca Meets Sam

April 6, 1928
Dear Diary,


My Pa carried all the food I prepared to the wagon and then helped Ma on to ride to Boone Lake. The morning was so beautiful that I wanted to walk and carry the wildflowers I picked along the way.

I stood on the mountain range overlooking the rapids below and thank God for all the beauty he made for the mountain people who took the time to enjoy it. This is one lesson I taught my students to appreciate what we have in front of us---all the beauty of nature and the creatures and birds that live with us on these mountains.

I wore my light blue dress that Pa loved---he said my blue eyes shined like Ma’s and my blonde hair glowed in the sunlight. Ma said Pa secretly wrote poems---this was one of our secrets Ma and I shared.

I wondered why I should worry about shining and glowing as Johnny was not here and probably would never be again. So life goes on and on like the wheel of time---it keeps turning.

Although beautiful as our mountain trails are---one has to keep their attention on where they are going. So I will always wonder why I rounded the Blue Rock with my head in my flowers smelling them.

Because I was not paying attention--- I walked into a moving mountain with arms that grabbed me and held me so tightly I could not breathe. And then of all things that are holy I fainted for the first time in my life.

When I opened my eyes I was staring into the lightest green eyes I had ever seen, and then I heard my brother’s Mark and Matthew voices as they ran towards us. I heard Mark’s voice which seemed at the end of a long tunnel shout---as he loudly said, “Sam, what happened to our sister---let me have her.”
                                                                           

Sam spoke softly back and said, “Mark, I will never let anyone have her---she will be mine forever if she will have me. I knew I came to this mountain to meet my soul mate and now I am holding her Mah darlin' o' th' ben .”  His Scottish brogue awakened my heart and I wanted to stay in his arms forever.
This did not go over too well with my brothers---but they backed down as it would have taken both of them to take Sam down and I was slowly waking up.

Later Dear Diary,


Becca



                                                                                                                   Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment